Experienced and Knowledgeable Staff
Structured Play & Rest Times
Positive Training & Management
100% Full time Supervison
Daily cleaning, disinfecting and sanitizing
Why Doggy Daycare?
With safe, supervised interactions for dogs of all ages, doggy daycare allows for pent-up energy to be released through play, aids in teach young dogs crucial socialization skills and to understand body language, and establishes life long friendships for dogs to thrive on from puppyhood through to to their senior years.
Tired dogs are HAPPY dogs
The average dog spends 8-10 hours a day at home alone with no positive outlet for their normal canine energy. This lack of adequate stimulation causes dogs to get bored and frustrated which can lead to long list of behaviour problems. While daycare is not a substitute for training your dog, it offers a social outlet that helps burn mental and physical energy.
See for yourself
It can be difficult dropping your dog off with strangers for the first time. We strive to make that transition easier for you by providing a live K9CAM to see your pup in action. Transparency is important to us and what better way to know your pup is having a good time than to see it first hand on the K9CAM!
Are all Doggy Daycares the Same?
No. The Doggy Daycare industry is currently unregulated. K9HQ strives to abide by the highest recommended standards which includes low staff to dog ratios, separate play groups based on size and temperament, and science based education for all staff. Our top priority is the safety and well-being of dogs in our care. We promote a fun and positive atmosphere using reward-based management methods and do not condone the use of fear, intimidation or physical force. Not all daycares are created equal so do your homework to ensure you find the best fit for you and your pup.
The K9HQ Guarantee:
- Friendly, knowledgeable & compassionate staff certified in Canine First Aid
- Clean indoor facility with air conditioning & a ventilation system for the highest air quality
- Structured play & rest rotations to prevent over-exhaustion & promote physical & mental well-being
- Separate play groups based on size & temperament
- Low staff to dog ratio of maximum 1:15
- Positive training & management methods
- 100% supervision – no play groups are EVER left unattended
- Pre-screened dogs to play & socialize with safely
- Multi-Gate System to ensure maximum security
- Toys and play equipment to stimulate mind & body
- Low-impact rubber flooring to optimize bone & joint health and development
- Potty areas accessible for all play groups
- Daily cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting of entire facility
- Live K9CAM to watch your pup while at work
- DHPP/DAPP (Distemper, Hepatitis/Adenovirus, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus)
- Bordetella (Canine Kennel Cough)
All dogs must be on a flea preventative control program year-round.
- Dogs showing signs of illness must stay home until symptoms dissipate or until a Vet provides documentation that your dog is no longer contagious.
- We will quarantine & send dogs home immediately who show symptoms of persistent coughing, hacking, sneezing, or other worrisome symptoms.
Spaying & Neutering:
- Intact female dogs are welcome but must be kept home while in season.
- The age requirement for neutering will be based on the presence of one or more of listed hormone-related behaviours. You will be informed if your dog displays any of these unsuitable daycare behaviours at which point we may require them to be neutered before they return to daycare:
- Excessive mounting
- Obsessive behaviour
- Lower tolerance or aggression toward other males
- Lower tolerance or aggression from other males
EVALUATION & INFORMATION SESSION ( E&I )
An evaluation session is required for dogs prior to joining K9HQ to ensure that our environment is the right fit. While the evaluation helps us determine suitability, it also allows the dog a chance to meet us, take in all the smells and maybe even make a new friend, all of which helps make their first official daycare visit as comfortable as possible.
If we determine that your dog isn’t right for our daycare it does not mean you have a bad or difficult dog, it may simply mean that our environment was not the best fit for them. Each dog’s safety and well-being is our top priority and while we strive to create a comfortable environment, there is no perfect setting for every dog. We will always be honest with you, and if possible, will help guide you to a care provider that better suits your dog’s needs.
An information session is provided with the evaluation session in order to answer all questions and to explain what a typical day at K9HQ looks like. We will also give a tour of the facility at this time.
E&I sessions are approximately 60 minutes and by appointment only. Please note that there may be a wait list of up to a few weeks as we evaluate only a few dogs per week. Advanced booking is recommended if you hope to enrol your dog for a specific upcoming day of daycare. Half days are often recommended to start.
How to Book your E&I Session:
- Complete an online application form
- Email us up-to-date Vaccination Records
- Wait for an email from us to book an Evaluation & Information Session (if you haven’t heard from us within 48 hours of submitting an application please contact us)
Are all Doggy Daycares the same?
No. The Doggy Daycare industry is currently unregulated. K9HQ strives to abide by the highest recommended standards which include low staff to dog ratios, separate play groups based on size and temperament, and science based education for all staff. Our top priority is the safety and well-being of dogs in our care. We promote a fun and positive atmosphere using reward-based management methods and do not condone the use of fear, intimidation or physical force. Not all daycares are created equal so do your homework to ensure you find the best fit for you and your pup.
More information on how to choose a Doggy Daycare
Should my dog go to daycare?
There is no perfect answer to this question. For many dogs daycare is the ideal outlet to release pent up energy, make new friends and go home happy and tired at the end of the day. For others, it could feel exhausting being around other dogs all day. For others, it may even scary if being left in an unfamiliar place away from their family is new to them.
If your dog enjoys the company of other dogs, is comfortable or warms up quickly with strangers and demonstrates appropriate social skills, daycare could be the perfect fit! Feel free to contact us with questions or fill out an online application form so we can better determine if they are a good fit for doggy daycare.
Please note, daycare is not the place to socialize aggressive or adult dogs with unknown social skills, though we would be happy to discuss training options for these dogs.
Who takes care of my dog?
K9HQ has strict hiring policies. The staff who cares for your dogs are called K9 Care Givers. All K9 Care Givers are adults who truly have a passion for dogs. They prove their passion with a history of volunteer work with dogs, previous industry experience, books they read and courses taken. Our staff are all certified in Pet First Aid and are educated in canine body language and reward-based handling methods.
Check our About Us page for information about our K9 Care Givers.
How will I know how my dog is doing?
We thrive on transparency here at K9HQ. Our K9Cam is a unique feature that allows you to watch your dog at daycare while you are away.
We will update you upon pick-up time on how your dog’s day went and will call you during the day if a problem were to arise. We encourage you to call and check in on your dog’s first day if you are feeling anxious about knowing how they’re doing or if you just miss your dog!
Daycare is meant to be a fun, stimulating experience, and we do everything we can to ensure a positive environment. If we feel that our daycare setting is not right for your dog, we will be sure to let you know.
What is the cost of Doggy daycare?
Daycare payments are available in drop-in sessions or monthly packages. The price range is between $26 to $35 per day and discounts are provided for multiple dogs within the same household, as well as for purchasing 10+ days within a calendar month. In your Evaluation & Information session we will provide our detailed package rates.
My dog is tiny. will she be safe?
Safety is our number one priority, which is why we separate our big and small dogs into separate play groups. This separation allows shyer dogs to open up to other dogs their own size and avoid feeling overwhelmed or shut down, as well as minimizing the risk of accidents from happening. We encourage a safe and positive atmosphere to ensure all dogs can play freely and comfortably.
The girls at K9HQ truly love the doggos in their care, we are so happy we chose K9HQ for our Wynston, he is happy and you can tell he had a fun day. If we could give them a 10 rating, we would!!!
Bentley has been to 3 daycares on the island, and this is the best! He always comes home happy and relaxed. Friendly staff, positive and safe environment, structured schedule, report cards and cameras so you know how your dog is doing… Great place – would highly recommend!